Former Utah football player ('96) Chad Kauha'aha'a has been hired as Utah's new defensive line's coach. Kauha'aha'a replaces John Pease, who retired late last year.
Kauha'aha'a returns to the Utah football program after spending two years coaching the Utah State defensive line. Prior to his stop in Logan, he coached the same position under Ron McBride at Weber State for four years.
Beyond his hire, Kyle Whittingham announced some other coaching changes:
- Dave Schramm will return to coaching the running backs. He coached that position for four years before taking over the offensive coordinator duties at the start of the 2009 season.
- Aaron Roderick will return to coaching the receivers.
- Aaron Alford, who has been with the program since 2007, has quit coaching - but will remain with the team as the director of high school relations.
- Brian Johnson will remain quarterbacks coach.
- Tim Davis, of course, will coach Utah's offensive line.
- Norm Chow, Utah's new offensive coordinator, will also coach tight ends.
This is probably the biggest overall shakeup on the offensive end since the completion of the 2008 season. But, as I've said many times on Block U, it was needed.
What are your thoughts on these moves?