Isn't that what the Utes are? Can anyone argue otherwise?
Through 8 games, among the 123 FBS schools, the Utes rank
- 59th in Passing Offense (244.1 ypg)
- 59th in Rushing Offense (174.1 ypg)
- 53rd in Scoring Offense (31.1 ppg)
- 53rd in Red Zone Offense
- 75th in Pass Efficiency (127.4)
- 38th in Rushing Defense (141.3 ypg)
- 91st in Passing Defense (251.9 ypg)
- 59th in Scoring Defense (25.8 ppg)
- 74th in Red Zone Defense
- 80th in Pass Efficiency Defense (133.04)
Collectively, these statistics scream mediocrity. Unfortunately for the Utes, three other key statistics have completely killed Utah's chances of turning the corner and competing in the PAC12 this year. You can probably guess which stats I'm talking about, but here they are anyway:
- 107th in 3rd Down Conversion % (.325)
- 108th in Turnover Margin(-8)
- 119th in Interceptions Thrown (15).
and...wait for it...
Coach Whitt said after the USC loss that the team needed to do some soul searching. Perhaps Ute fans need to do some soul searching of our own.
In our 3rd year in the PAC12, we face the real possibility of two losing seasons in a row...and sitting at home during Bowl season. Yes, the conference has improved as a whole during those three years. But are we heading in the right direction? Is Coach Whittingham the man to lead us in that direction?
If the time comes that we can answer that question with a resounding "no," do we, as fans, have the resolve to call for the job of someone we've all loved for what he has done for the program? I wonder...