Season is winding down and it's clear who's the best team in the conference. Right now, that's BYU and I don't see that changing this season. The Cougars have played well, dominating every conference opponent and rolling to a 4-0 conference start. After that, the conference pretty much sucks (and let's not kid ourselves, BYU isn't that great of a team either). Which makes Utah's struggles even more depressing.
- BYU - The Cougars are on a roll and will win the conference championship unless they screw it up. I don't see them going undefeated (losing to either Wyoming or Utah), but would not be surprised if it happens.
- TCU - After two early conference losses to BYU and Utah, TCU is back and rolling along. Their decisive win over Wyoming last week proves TCU's loss to Utah was most likely a fluke. The Frogs should have no trouble winning the rest of their games on their schedule, finishing with a 10-2 record.
- New Mexico - A slow start has turned into an impressive 2 game winning streak for the Lobos. With wins over Utah and Colorado State, New Mexico is now only a game out from playing in the inaugural New Mexico Bowl.
- Wyoming - They stumbled last week against TCU, but they're still rolling along and two wins away from being bowl eligible. That probably won't happen, but the Cowboys are looking solid in the conference season.
- Utah - Utah has been plagued by inconsistent play all season and I expect that to continue. Whether they can get to 6 wins will weigh heavily on their ability to defeat Colorado State after their bye week.
- Air Force - Falcons were looking solid up until their loss to San Diego State, and now they're falling. I don't expect them to get the 6 wins needed for a postseason berth, which means a 3rd consecutive losing season for DeBerry and crew.
- Colorado State - Wow, how the Rams have fallen. Only four years ago they were the Mountain West's best team and now they're barely staying at .500. Lubbick's days in Fort Collins might be numbered, but I don't see him getting the axe. More like a forced retirement, which might be what the Rams need.
- San Diego State - Aztecs look as if they're going to turn it around after a win against Air Force and then lose to D1-AA Cal Poly. Man, they suck.
- UNLV - UNLV got crushed by Utah Saturday and is 0-7 against D1-A opponents (and on a 7 game losing streak). Their best chance for a win over a D1-A opponent will most likely come against San Diego State. Rebels are just a really bad team with a really bad coach.