You knew Mike Leach and Washington State would not go undefeated and never lose again ... and yet, with the media hyping up the Cougars and all the talk about Leach bringing a new winning attitude to Pullman, you didn't expect things to come to a crashing halt this early in the season.
Against BYU, Mike Leach's offense was pretty abysmal, which is as perplexing and surprising as Tom Hanks doing a Porky's remake. It just shouldn't happen. It doesn't make sense. Now, he'll have plenty of time to get things worked out up there, but for the time being, their offense is in trouble and the Cougars don't look nearly as good as many of us felt they could look this season. Fortunately, they have a chance to rebound and enter the bulk of conference play with some momentum. Their next three games are all winnable, and should be won, in fact, and that means they'd just need to squeeze out three more wins to claim bowl eligibility. It won't be easy, but it can be doable.
The Pac-12 Power Poll after the jump...
Team of the Week: Oregon.
Brian Gene Chip Kelly runs a machine and it appears that it's nowhere near stopping. While the 57-34 score against Arkansas State might look competitive, this game wasn't ... it was over by halftime and could have been worse. A lot worse.
Team of the Weak: Cal. What a way to lay an egg in your newly renovated stadium. Note to the Golden Bears: stop scheduling Nevada.
1. Oregon Ducks (1-0): Good thing real ducks aren't as fast and athletic as these Ducks or they'd overtake the world with ease.
3. Stanford Cardinal (1-0): Is it time to panic yet? Probably not, but boy was that an ugly win over San Jose State. It might prove to be an anomaly ... than again, it could be a sign of things to come.
4. California Golden Bears (0-1): Tough, tough loss at home to Nevada. Is the Jeff Tedford era coming to an end?
5. Oregon St. Beavers (0-0): Good news, Beavers! You didn't lose to a FCS team in your opener. Bad news, Beavers! Your game was cancelled. Good luck against Wisconsin.
6. Washington St. Cougars (0-1): The Mike Leach era began with a thud. Fortunately, there are 11 games to get it right.
1. USC Trojans (1-0): The Trojans had no problem dispatching of former Utah offensive coordinator Norm Chow. They're gonna be tough this year and, maybe, even win a national championship that won't be taken away from 'em down the road.
2. Utah Utes (1-0): Okay, so, Northern Colorado. Woopty-doo!
3. UCLA Bruins (1-0): How hard is it to beat an owl anyway?
4. Arizona St. Sun Devils (1-0): Todd Graham likes points. Lots and lots of points.
5. Arizona Wildcats (1-0): Lots of yards, little points. That could prove damaging in the weeks ahead, but hey, the Rich Rodriguez era started off with a win. Couldn't say that with his time at Michigan.
6. Colorado Buffaloes (0-1): Is it me or did the Buffaloes seriously regress from last year's team? And it's not like they were good in 2011! No worries, though, they'll still beat Utah.
Game of the Week: Washington @ LSU. I don't see the Huskies winning this one, but hopefully it's an enjoyable game.