The Runnin' Utes beat the Temple Owls by a score of 74-68 Sunday afternoon, wrapping up their Puerto Rico Tip Off tournament. The Utes went 2-1 on their trip, with the two wins coming against Temple and Texas Tech, and the lone loss coming to Miami.
It was a night full of runs for both teams, as the Utes really struggled out of the gates, as did the Owls, but they really started to put things together at the end of the first half, and into the second half, as they built an eventual 14 point lead. The Utes held Temple to just 39% shooting on the evening, and put Temple into foul trouble. They eventually fouled out two of the Owls players, and put another two near fouling out with 4 fouls.
The Utes next game will be against Idaho State at the Huntsman Center this coming Friday.
Here are some game notes from the contest:
• Sunday's contest was the first-ever meeting between Utah and Temple. The Utes are now 1-0 all-time against the Owls.
• Sophomore Jakob Poeltl scored a game-high 32 points, becoming the first Utah player to score 30+ points in a game since Carlon Brown (31 points) back on Jan. 27, 2010, at Wyoming.
• The Utes closed the first
• Utah led by as many as 14 points with 18:55 left in the second half.
• After missing three straight free throws between the 4:10 and 3:50 marks in the second half, Utah would close the contest making its final seven free throws
• The Utes have shot 75 percent or better from the free throw line in three of its first five games. Utah finished tonight's contest with a 26-of-34 (
• Utah out-shot the Owls 34 to nine in free throw attempts. Temple tallied 27 personal fouls to Utah's season-low 13.
• Utah won the battle on the boards (42-36), recorded more blocks (4-0) and had less turnovers (6-9) than the Owls.
• Senior Brandon Tayler and Poeltl both played for a season-high 36 minutes each. Senior Jordan Loveridge played a season-high 35 minutes.