The Utes are back on the hardwood today, as they take on Utah State at the Vivint SmartHome Arena for the inaugural Beehive Classic. This new event in Salt Lake is a double-header, on the same floor, for the four primary basketball schools in the state — Utah, Utah State, Weber State and BYU. The Utes and Aggies will tip off the action today at 5:30, and will renew the instate matchup for the first time 2010, a Utah loss up in Logan.
USU has already played the other two teams that are playing today, dropping both games, and have also lost to Gonzaga, Portland State and Valparaiso. The Aggies won their most recent game by beating UC Irvine by 3 up in Logan just a couple of days ago.
This will be an interesting neutral floor atmosphere, so it will be interesting how things breakdown fan wise, and who starts to back who. Utah is the better, more talented team than USU, but the Aggies no doubt want to get at least one instate win under their belt, and beating a Pac-12 opponent is always big for them too.
How to watch/listen:
Utah (6-2) vs. Utah State (5-5)
Date/Tipoff: Saturday, Dec. 9, 2017 | 5:30 p.m. MT
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah (Vivint Smart Home Arena)
Television: Pac-12 Networks
Radio: ESPN700 (ESPN700Sports.com)
Here are a few notes from UtahUtes.com:
• Utah and Utah State will be meeting for the 224th time, but for the first time since 2010, when both teams square-off with each other this Saturday, Dec. 9, at Vivint Smart Home Arena.
• Saturday’s contest, which is part of the Beehive Classic that also includes both BYU and Weber State, will be the first time the utah and Aggies will have met on a neutral court.
• The Utes are coming off an 81-69 road loss in Indianapolis to Butler this past Tuesday, while the Aggies earned a 62-59 home win over UC Irvine in Logan on Tuesday.
• Freshman Donnie Tillman led the way for the Utes, pouring in a game-high 20 points. Tillman registered a new season/career-high and has now posted double-digit scoring efforts in seven straight games for the Utes.
• Utah has registered wins of 20 points or more in three of its six victories.
Utah and Utah State will meet for the 224th time this Saturday, but it will mark the first meeting between the two teams since 2010-11. Utah State won the last meeting, 79-62, back on Nov. 24, 2010, in Logan. Utah’s last win over the Aggies was a 68-67 victory in Salt Lake City back in 2009.
The Utes and Aggies will be facing each other on a neutral court for the first time ever in the series. Utah and USU games have gone into overtime on 11 different occasions, but the last time a team needed overtime to secure the victory came back in 1991. USU won the contest 74-72 in a single overtime frame in Salt Lake City.